Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

Folks really need to read things that are posted here completely before
responding. I think most readers have the picture now, but some are still
not clear on the concept.

At 12:44 PM 3/23/98 -0600, Robert Fournerat wrote:
>I would have liked to respond to sooo many things in this thread,
>but I simply don't have the time.  So please excuse me if I sound
>terse, but here are a couple of quick items that I think need to
>be mentioned, and I don't have the time to fully discuss them.
>
>1) Matt Holdrege, you're wrong in your opinion of the difficulty
>   of supporting an application level product across multiple UNIX
>   platforms.  There are many, many resources from which Ascend
>   could draw examples of how to implement portable software.  You
>   might start by studying the emacs or perl distributions.

Again, this has little to do with compilation or portable software.

>2) I have to admit that I dont understand how Ascend could argue
>   that the masses have spoken.  The majority of us use UNIX.
>   Why do you fight so hard to not support us?  BTW, my ISP also
>   uses Linux - exclusively.  I'm not opposed to other forms of
>   UNIX.   Right now, Linux is simply the best choice.

We do support unix.

>3) Ascend has given ample example that they do not know how to
>   build commercial quality software.  If Ascend would embrace
>   UNIX, maybe Ascend would learn what commercial quality software
>   is, and improve their products.

We do support unix.

I'd like to try a survey here. How many of you who have posted in favor of
Linux are also in favor of purchasing Ascend's Radius server (Access
Control) or Ascend's access Network Management System (Navis Access)? If
you are planning to purchase these products and would prefer they run on
Red Hat or whatever then please let us know. We simply haven't heard from you.

Also note that Ascend doesn't sit up on an ivory tower and conduct market
survey's. We speak directly to our customers and they (believe me!) speak
directly to us. This is how we chose to support the various unix systems
that the above products run on today.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com