Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

At 06:32 PM 3/23/98 +1000, Thomas Hartley wrote:
>I wonder where Ascend get there data.  The activity on the list suggests a
>great number of customers using the free options.
>Come on all you commercila followers put your hands up.

If we made our choices based on this list, Linux would obviously be the
winner! And if each of you who posted in favor of Linux contacts your
Ascend salesman to buy for example Navis Access on Linux, it might just
happen. But obviously (to Ascend) the majority of the customers who use our
equipment prefer to run their SNMP manager on Solaris, NT or HP-UX. Those
folks don't seem to post to this list. And as some of you have written, it
is sometimes more preferable to customize your own products like Radius
using freeware. So you do have your choice.

But as others have said, we've had these OS wars several times in the past
on this list. I love Linux too. I use Red Hat at home. But I'm not going to
argue in favor of one over the other. That stuff is for comp.unix and this
list is for Ascend network products. That's hopefully my last word.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com