Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

At 06:18 PM 3/22/98 -0800, nicole@webweaver.net wrote:
> Trend? How about people not buying your products becouse they can't get
the support they need or the applications to run on what they choose
instead of what you choose. It is not hard to develop cross platform,
people have been doing that for years.

Believe me, we choose the platforms that the majority of our customers
prefer. It wouldn't make much sense for us to choose Solaris if our
customers didn't demand it. And as I said earlier, there's a lot more
involved than compiling.

> AlSo by what you are saying, the freeware people should stop developing
apps that compile on the comercial Unix's. Let um' go buy their apps. Fair
is fair.

I don't think I said that. People offer thier code as freeware so everyone
can enjoy it. Not to promote any OS over another.

> The successfull companies are the ones who cater to their users.

Precisely. Ascend is totally customer-driven. The clear majority of our
customers prefer supportable solutions. That's why they mostly buy
commercial OS's. Obviously not everyone agrees and some of our customers
use Linux and freeBSD. We simply have limited resources and can't support
every unix. That's why we offer a freeware Radius with limited support.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com