Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

>That's what I said when I was told there'd be no commercial version of
>radius (AAC) for any of the BSD platforms.  It still amazes me that Ascend
>touts that it's the favorite choice among ISPs, yet doesn't listen to us
>when it comes to what we need.  Our only option was to get a Sparc box
>running solaris and that just wasn't in our budget for the year.  The
>company I was with was a completely FreeBSD shop, and Solaris wasn't
>anything we wanted or needed in our lives.

I'd like to clarify some points raised about Access Control.  This
application does
support platforms other than Solaris,  including BSD 3.0

I have included a section from the Access Control documentation that
highlights the
platforms and features supported by this application.

Willie Meagher
Ascend Customer Service

Access Control Release r1_0Ai10
( $Id: README.proto,v 1.6 1998/02/27 17:27:29 edguer Exp $ )

II.  FEATURE LIST
 PLATFORM
  * AIX 4.1 - RS6000
  * BSD/OS 3.0 - Intel
  * Digital UNIX (OSF1) 4.0 - Alpha
  * HP-UX  9.0 - PA-RISC
  * HP-UX 10.0 - PA-RISC
  * Solaris 2.5 - SPARC
  * Solaris 2.5 - Intel
  * SunOS 4.1.4 - SPARC
  * Windows NT 4.0 - Intel

 FEATURES
  * Provided as a packaged executable
  * Includes licensed support for security tokens
   + Security Dynamics ACE
     + Security Dynamics ACE message catalog [note 1]
   + Axent (was Assurenet or Digital Pathways) Defender
   + Bellcore S/Key
  * Supports UNIX password authentication [note 2]
  * Supports MS Windows NT domain authentication [note 3]
  * Supports Token card caching
  * Supports Password aging
  * Supports RADIUS IP Address Daemon [note 2]
  * Supports RADIUS State Daemon (per-user and per-group limits) [note 2]
  * Supports Ascend packet filter profiles
  * Supports authentication from other authentication methods
   + TACACS
   + TACACS+
   + MIT Kerberos V4 [note 4]
   + AFS Kerberos [note 4]
  * Supports time-of-day access restrictions
  * Supports proxy-RADIUS authentication and accounting
  * Supports i-Pass Alliance authentication and accounting [note 2]
  * Supports ODBC for authentication and accounting [note 5,6]
  * Supports logging to a file and/or syslog
  * Supports vendor-specific attributes
  * Supports multiple domains of authentication control ("realms")
    + regular expression support for realm names [note 2]
  * Supports per-client user database files
  * Supports per-realm user database files
  * Supports a Graphical User Interface to modify the configuration [note
7]

 Notes:
  1) This feature is not available on BSD/OS or Windows NT.
  2) This feature available only on UNIX platforms
  3) This feature available only on MicroSoft Windows NT.
  4) Kerberos is available only on Solaris 2.5 systems.
  5) Access Control includes the Intersolv DataDirect ODBC 2.1 Driver
Manager.
     In order to make use of the ODBC option, you must obtain a copy
     of the Intersolv ODBC 2.1 driver for your operating system and DBMS.
     The Intersolv ODBC 2.1 driver compatibility table may be found on
     the Intersolv WWW site - http://www.intersolv.com/products/matrix.htm
     You may purchase the driver either from Intersolv or an Intersolv
     distributor.  Two such distributors that have been recommended by
     Intersolv are:
        Software Spectrum     800-624-0503      Gus Payne
        Programmer's Paradise 800-441-1511x233  Jason Singer
     More information on Intersolv DataDirect products can be found at
        http://www.intersolv.com/products/index.htm
     You must also obtain a copy of the DBMS client software for the
     same operating system.  The client should be available from your
     DBMS vendor.  The RADIUS server, ODBC driver, and DBMS client must
     run on the same machine.  The DBMS server may run on a separate
     machine.
  6) ODBC is not available under SunOS 4.1.4 - SPARC, BSDI/OS 3.0 - Intel
  7) Complete cross-platform support for the Access Control Manager (ACM)
     and User Account Wizard (UAW) GUIs is scheduled for the first quarter
     of 1998. At that time, the program will run within a Java-capable
     web browser and offer true, complete cross-platform support. As of
     version 1.0A, the GUIs run within the Java Virtual Machine on 32-bit
     operating systems only (WIN95 and Windows NT).