Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Matt Holdrege wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:00:53 -0800
> From: Matt Holdrege <matt@ascend.com>
> To: Robert Fournerat <robert@netin.com>
> Cc: ascend-users@bungi.com
> Subject: Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...
>
> I'd like to try a survey here. How many of you who have posted in favor of
> Linux are also in favor of purchasing Ascend's Radius server (Access
> Control) or Ascend's access Network Management System (Navis Access)? If
> you are planning to purchase these products and would prefer they run on
> Red Hat or whatever then please let us know. We simply haven't heard from you.

	Okay... Speaking as the S.A. for the company I work for we have
mentioned this problem to our Southeast sales rep... We are willing to pay
for the software _IF_ it were supported... I would much rather run
everything on RedHat Linux than NT because of the fact it uses it's
resource much better... But as is I'm having to use AAC and NA on a NT
machine because it isn't supported by RedHat... and as soon as it were
made available and was stable we would in fact move to it... TAC still
even has an open ticket on me with the radius issue until we finally
decided to go with the NT AAC until I could hack radiusd to run properly
or Ascend got better support for it...

> Also note that Ascend doesn't sit up on an ivory tower and conduct market
> survey's. We speak directly to our customers and they (believe me!) speak
> directly to us. This is how we chose to support the various unix systems
> that the above products run on today.

	Granted... but how much of this information from the list as far
as requests, suggestions, etc has made it to anyone that can make an
decision in the matter? If any of it had or the suggestions to sales reps
has been passed on then I would think Ascend may have taken some action.
How many companies/ISPs are on this list have stated they are running RH?
Most all the email came through the past couple days has shown Linux,
Solaris, and FreeBSD to be highly popular version for this market... Yet
strangely only one of those 3 is supported...

	Sincerely,
	Jeremy T. Bouse
	System Administrator
	SouthNet TeleComm Services, Inc.