Re: (ASCEND) I'm going home now...

I'm not one that's into "but they suck more than we do", so I have to
admit that things are not what they once were - heck I'm no longer one
of the TAC guys ;-)

However, I do know that incidents like this are extremely rare. All you
have to do is take a look at the database of contacts that are made in
a very timely manner. Only those who have problems typically ever speak
out - it's not "news" to say 'I got help 20 minutes after calling in',
or 'I was passed to an engineer within minutes'.

We also have the commitment to our customers through forums like this
mailing list, and the usenet newsgroups - there are Ascend representatives
actively participating in all of them (not just me). The fact that this
is basically my full-time job, demonstrates our managements commitment to
all aspects of Customer Support.

We still provide free support when you need it, but in many cases it *IS*
worth the investment to get a support contract - isn't that how most
vendors have been operating for years? (And I assume we would agree that
priority would then be given to those with contracts - when all else is
equal?).

At 06:57 AM 1/16/98 -0600, Joe  Shaw wrote:
>Welcome to the first incident that will make you not ever want to buy
>another piece of Ascend equipment again.  We've all been through it, and
>it's all affected our judgement and our views of Ascend, especially if you
>remember the days of being able to call up no matter what time of day it
>was and have someone call you back if it was extremely important like a
>network down emergency.  These days, Ascend doesn't pay such attention to
>it's customers unless you're paying them for a service contract.
>
>Regards,
>Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
>NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
>Fortune for today: "Life may have no meaning -- or worse, it may have a
meaning
>of which you disapprove." Unknown.
>
>On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Del Hines wrote:
>

>> I've got modems that aren't responding when the my 4048 is loaded.
>>
>> At 7:00pm CST I called Ascend tech support, was given an incident number,
>> and I was told I was given high priority.
>>
>> It is now Midnight CST and I've still not received a call back.  My Max is
>> no longer loaded, so it will be useless for me to stay any longer to debug
>> this tonight.
>>
>> I tried calling the tech support number for a second time to make sure
>> they didn't lose my ticket, but I now get a "Our regular office hours..."
>> message.  They could have at least told me it would be tomorrow before
>> they started calling the high priority list because I expected a call
>> tonight.  http://www.ascend.com/2397.html#phone states
>>
>> 	"If an engineer is not immediately available, your call is
>> 	prioritized and assigned to the next available engineer.
>> 	Even in particular heavy times, you will receive a call back
>> 	withing a few hours."
>>
>> Does anyone know how long "a few hours" is???
>>
>> I now have several disgusted customers because of "No Answers", and I'm
>> sure they'll have to go through the no-answers tomorrow because I now
>> have to wait until the Max is loaded again....
>>
>> Please don't bother calling until after 9:00 CST tomorrow morning.  I'm
>> going to sleep in.....
>>
>> Is there a different procedure I'm supposed to follow when I need help???
>>
>> Del Hines
>> Cyberback Internet

Kevin