Re: (ASCEND) I'm going home now...

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Kevin A. Smith wrote:

> However, I do know that incidents like this are extremely rare. All you
> have to do is take a look at the database of contacts that are made in
> a very timely manner. Only those who have problems typically ever speak
> out - it's not "news" to say 'I got help 20 minutes after calling in',
> or 'I was passed to an engineer within minutes'.

Not at all rare.  It's often 4-8 hrs before I've received a call...and often
I hear back on issues I called in on (and later solved or worked around) and
hear back several days (or like a few weeks ago) weeks later.

> We still provide free support when you need it, but in many cases it *IS*
> worth the investment to get a support contract - isn't that how most
> vendors have been operating for years? (And I assume we would agree that
> priority would then be given to those with contracts - when all else is
> equal?).

I would agree with this if the reasons we all called in for were setup
issues and such but often the reason we are calling in to get help is due to
problems with the hardware and software in the MAX.  I feel that Ascend
should accept responsibility for buggy hardware and code and support it for
free.  It's incentive to FIX bugs whereas support contracts are incentive to
NOT fix them.  The whole fiasco of 5.0Ap20 thru 36 put a very very very sour
taste in my mouth and I'd reconsider MAXes when expanding our dialups.