Re: (ASCEND) I'm going home now...

In article <3.0.5.32.19980116100003.00a2e100@mktg_srv.ascend.com> you wrote:

>We still provide free support when you need it, but in many cases it *IS*
>worth the investment to get a support contract - isn't that how most
>vendors have been operating for years? (And I assume we would agree that
>priority would then be given to those with contracts - when all else is
>equal?).

I'd basically agree, free support just isn't, certainly not for the party
that has to provide it. OTOH it's up to your company to reduce costs, email
support is probably one way to do it.
FYI, my experiences with Ascends *email* support are nothing but poor to
say the least. There are still a whole bunch of ticket #'s open for problems
that we either solved on our own (by trying stuff and temporarily breaking
things for our customers) or developed work-arounds for (X75). Some of the
problems were of course fixed in the recent patch releases.
Anyway, replies via email (which I only received in about 20% of all cases)
never came any earlier than 5 days after sending email to support.
Thanks to late working hours on my behalf, and an excellent job Ascend did
with the latest patch releases for the max, all our problems are now solved.
It could have been much easier though.
As fair as I'm concerned I've got little complaints about the product
itself. We'll probably continue to buy maxens and pipelines, however this
decision is certainly not because we feel they are well supported, but
because they simply *work* once you get to know the handling and their
limitations.

--
Oliver J. Albrecht <oj@nexus.flensbone.net>