Re: (ASCEND) P50/P130 setup

On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 03:31:18PM -0500, Darkshot wrote:
> Andre Beck wrote:
> >
> > It even looks relatively good. CCP opening means that LCP is done and
> > Auth is done so actually, all is well and fine. Just a trivial thing
> > failed: NCP negotiations. This means either the other side did not at
> > all want to negotiate IPCP, or definately wanted to negotiate more things
> > than just IPCP, and the P50 refuses them. Make sure they _exactly_ want
> > IPCP, nothing else, and all would work. The only other option I see is
> > that IPCP is trying to be negotiated, but fails due to diverging ideas
> > of the IP addresses of the peers by the peers.
> >
> > IPX ? What'ya say ?
> >

> Where IS IPCP set? I've assigned this Pipeline an out-of-pool IP
> address and I put it in the same place in the connection profile
> on the MAX as  I have others that are working, but they are all
> Webramp or normal modem dialups. No isdn; this is my first. The
> Pipeline is running 4.3+, btw....

IPCP is used whenever Route IP=Yes. If you don't use Bridging, ARA
or IPX then IPCP is the only NCP which will be opened. If the profiles
on both ends are specifying IP only, everything should be Ok.

What do you mean by "out-of-pool" IP ? IP from the pool ? Or not from
the pool ? (Sorry, not a native english speaker and it seems to be
interpretable in both ways). You don't want to give a P50 an IP from
a pool. It needs a static one (and a net to be routed to it which is
then the IP net on the LAN side). If you don't want to give it a
static IP and route a net to it you must use NAT on the P50 (in which
case you can, again, use an IP from a pool, but better do not so to
not harm NAT by constant IP changes).

BTW, 4.3 is _prehistoric_. The first version I remember to have ever
seen was 4.2 (IIRC) and that was in spring '94. You should give it
at least 5.1Ap9 or even 6.0.0. You will definately need such new version
for NAT.

> PS God no, IPX is not set anywhere although there is some on the
> remote (Pipeline) site.

It will not harm. But you can always blame it on IPX if the Pipe is
having problems ;)

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |