Re: (ASCEND) P50/P75 Wont go away!

Ken Kirchner wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 eseider@postnet.com wrote:
>
> > Are there any Winblows boxes on the network behind the pipe50?  If so, it could be the Winblows browser announcements going out using Netbios over TCPIP.
> >

> I suspect this is the case.  I am a Netgear man myself so I know how to
> filter all the TCP/IP and UDP packets that Winblows spews on an RT328, but
> I have never added filters to a P50.  There's a section in chapter 8 about
> this very problem in the Netgear manual.  I hope there is something
> similar in the P50 manual (I was hoping their was a FAQ entry, but I cant
> find one).

Typically, though, all due disrespect to Windows, these shouldn't go out
to the WAN on a well-configured network.  They're broadcast to the local
network; the router should see that they are part of his local net and
not dial.  Look at Ethernet/Mod Config/Ether options/IP Adrs.  This
should square up with the IP address settings on the Windows machines.
It's probably an overly narrow netmask on the router, or overly broad
netmask or wrong IP address on a Win machine.

Here's an example of netbios broadcasts logged by tcpdump on Linux:

myserver.mysite.netbios-dgm > 192.168.100.255.netbios-dgm: udp 232
myserver.mysite.netbios-dgm > 192.168.100.255.netbios-dgm: udp 210

If the router were set at 192.168.100.100/25, rather than /24, it would
dial out.

Each broadcasting Win machine should show you packets going out the WAN
every 10 minutes, in my experience.

We have a bunch of Win95 machines doing NAT behind a P75, with all kinds
of Network Neighborhood activity, and I haven't had to set any weird
filters.  Still, if you use such a filter, it could save you headaches.

Then again, there's that moron with Instant Messenger!  :-)