(ASCEND) Disconnect Cause 101 but radif shows Ack - MAJOR problem

I am plagued by a problem that is causing serious grief.

At times of high activity users are being disconnected after the radius
server authenticates the user.  The radif radius debug shows the user
entered the correct password and "Authentication Ack" but the radius
detail file shows Disconnect Cause 101.

At slower call volumes the disconnect problem disappears.

Below is my DEFAULT user:

DEFAULT Password = "UNIX"
        User-Service=Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol=PPP,
        Ascend-Maximum-Channels=1

I am using FreeBSD 3.1 and have tried numerous radius servers, old and new
ascendd, the livingston radius and cistrond - all show successful
authentication in the radius log and in -x debug mode but the 4048 boots
the user off and displays "LAN security error".  I have Auth Pool = Yes.
I have no connectivity issues or authentication timeout problems that I
can see.  Ping times to the radius server are under 10ms.

The max 4048s are all running 6.1.7, newer versions seemed to be worse.

What is even more odd is three other 4048s (same software, etc) do not
experience this problem at all, ever.  The problem is related to three
individual units.

I have tried everything I can think of to remedy the problem (nvram clear,
etc.) but nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!