Re: (ASCEND) MICA

I beta tested the AS5200, and back then the microcom modems had problems
with the USR, thought it could have just been the genreal crappy nature of
the AS5200.  Recently I've been keeping tabs of the NAS vendors and where
they're at while looking for new equipment, and found that a lot of people
complained of MICA modem and USR's having problems.

However, browsing comp.dcom.sys.cisco, it appears a lot of the issues with
the MICA/USR conflict is fixed in the 12.0 branch of code.

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, T. D. Wolf wrote:

> That's contrary to our experience.  We run Cisco access servers with
> MICA and Microcom modems.  We get good connect speeds and outstanding
> reliability.  I can't think of a single class of modems that we have
> trouble with.  We didn't have our V.90 upgrade for several months
> after it was available for the Ascend products.  But it worked right
> from the start, and it's pretty solid right now.  I don't hear a lot
> of people making that claim about their MAX products.

Ascend would have done well to listen to their users and done the right
thing years ago.  The right thing being stop adding new features and fix
all existing and known bugs in the base code.  5.0 looked to be like a
step in the right direction with that goal in mind when compared to the
4.6 line of code, but it seems they got off track somewhere.

> One of our competitors just replaced his TNT with a Cisco AS5800,
> and comments in a local newsgroup indicate that most of their
> connection problems have disappeared.

One of the local large dialup ISP's has multiple AS5800's, and they've
reported problems in the news groups with USR modems, so they've bought
other NAS devices to service those users.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
Free UNIX advocate - "I hack, therefore I am."