RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36

At 10:25 AM 1/25/98 -0800, Peter Lalor wrote:

>The thing about this particular case is that, given OSPF's spotty
>reliability, people have been having to start OSPF up again because it just
>quit, not necessarily because they made a configuration change.

That is a good point too. I wonder if this facet was also fixed with the
5.0Ap42 release?

>Often, many things are still fine even if OSPF isn't running, so just
>getting it going again would be nice. Of course, if it quit for some
>ghastly reason, it might not be reasonable to expect it to start up again
>just because you told it to.

So, a restart-OSPF option....maybe?

>I recently had a case where an Ascend support person inadvertantly left
>OSPF off in a profile after he was done testing something. I found it later
>when people started complaining, and it required rebooting the Max to get
>OSPF going again. Therefore, a problem that affected a small percentage of
>connected customers caused everyone to get booted.

OK. My point has never been that a reboot is OK. I'm just trying to
verify how often it's likely to happen. In the best case scenario, you setup
the box and reboot once only - no changes, no need to reboot. But, if there
are numerous reasons for making changes, then a reboot becomes much more
likely - and THAT is what I'm looking for. If we can pretty confidently say
that a reboot is only going to be needed on VERY rare cases, then perhaps
feature XYZ should get a higher priority than 'fixing' this one......

Kevin