RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36

>From: "Kevin A. Smith" <kevin@ascend.com>
>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:13:03 -0800
>Subject: RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36
>
>At 06:56 PM 12/9/97 -0500, Dave Van Allen wrote:
>>Oliver, unfortunately you must reboot to get OSPF running and to make
>>most changes.  This is truly inconvenient and bad design, and no don't
>>look for a fix anytime soon.
>
>I'm looking at building the case for fixing this (assuming it is possible)
>and need to understand why it is "truly inconvenient"? How often do
>admins typically have to change OSPF settings? Can't these be done at
>scheduled maintenance/downtime ?

The thing about this particular case is that, given OSPF's spotty
reliability, people have been having to start OSPF up again because it just
quit, not necessarily because they made a configuration change.

Often, many things are still fine even if OSPF isn't running, so just
getting it going again would be nice. Of course, if it quit for some
ghastly reason, it might not be reasonable to expect it to start up again
just because you told it to.

I recently had a case where an Ascend support person inadvertantly left
OSPF off in a profile after he was done testing something. I found it later
when people started complaining, and it required rebooting the Max to get
OSPF going again. Therefore, a problem that affected a small percentage of
connected customers caused everyone to get booted.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com
http://www.infoasis.com/