Re: (ASCEND) Ascend SNMP Enterprise/16 trap?

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 09:51:07AM -0400, Joe Pautler wrote:
> Bruce Robertson wrote:
> ]
> ]What is the meaning of the Ascend Enterprise/16 trap?  My
> ]interpretation of the description seems to imply that I'm losing
> ]Radius accounting records,
>
> I researched this before....  unfortunately i can't find the document
> that i found the answer in - but as i recall i came to the conclusion
> that "events" are not "accounting records".  i'm sure someone else
> can elaborate.  (we see that trap too, but have come to the conclusion
> that we don't need to worry about it).
>
> -- Following eventTableOverwrite trap is an error event.
>
>     eventTableOverwrite TRAP-TYPE
>         ENTERPRISE      ascend
>         DESCRIPTION     "A new event has overwritten an unread event.
>                          This trap is sent only for systems which
>                          support Ascend's accounting MIB.
>                          Once sent, additional overwrites will not
>                          cause another trap to be sent until at least
>                          1 table's worth of new events have occured."
>         ::= 16

That one is harmless, it is only of relevance if you are somehow moni-
toring and using the event MIB of the maxes. The event MIB defines a
table where every event which occures in the Max is recorded and can
be retrieved via SNMP. This table is, however, limited in size and
thus organized as a ring buffer. When the Max starts overwriting the
top of the ring buffer, it will send this trap. The relation of this
event MIB to accounting is (AFAIK) that it is the only location where
the NET5 or GERMAN telco charge information (AOC*) is logged.

If you are interested in what the event MIB is doing there in the
basement, have a look on

http://www.ibh.de/~beck/stuff/scotty/events.max

- it will just do a running dump of the eventTable.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   XLink PoP Dresden | o |