Re: (ASCEND) NAT, Pipe75, stops routing.

On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 10:05:25AM -0700, Kevin A. Smith wrote:
> At 09:02 PM 4/5/98 -0500, Robert Fournerat wrote:
> >
> >The problem is Ascend's implementation of many-to-one NAT.
> >If the circuit is established long enough, the translation
> >table will fill to capacity, as they did not have a plan for
> >removing translation table entries without the circuit
> >dropping.  When the table is full, the router will no longer
> >route.  It was explained to me (by Ascend) that the translation
> >table is cleared every time the circuit is dropped.  Your
> >experience seems to refute that claim.
>
> >From what I recall, entries also time-out. That timeout may be
> a long one, but dropping the session clears the whole table.
> The session uses the "assigned" address which CAN change from
> session to session, so the table *is* cleared when the session
> gets dropped.

Oops. Not really ?

Why are they not dropped _only_ when the box gets a new IP assigned ?
I always thought that it is implemented this way. It may be nice to
be able to work with rotating IP assignments too, but why break basic
TCP/IP functionality ? If it really uses this approach, so even when
I assign a static IP to this NATting P50 TCP connections do not survive
an ISDN idle timeout ? Please tell me this is not true :-(

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |