Re: (ASCEND) NAT, Pipe75, stops routing.

At 09:02 PM 4/5/98 -0500, Robert Fournerat wrote:

>The problem is Ascend's implementation of many-to-one NAT.
>If the circuit is established long enough, the translation
>table will fill to capacity, as they did not have a plan for
>removing translation table entries without the circuit
>dropping.  When the table is full, the router will no longer
>route.  It was explained to me (by Ascend) that the translation
>table is cleared every time the circuit is dropped.  Your
>experience seems to refute that claim.

>From what I recall, entries also time-out. That timeout may be
a long one, but dropping the session clears the whole table.
The session uses the "assigned" address which CAN change from
session to session, so the table *is* cleared when the session
gets dropped.

>Other problems you will encounter with Ascend's many-to-one
>NAT include not being able to connect (from the WAN side into
>the NAT environment) to several ports (like the POP3 port 110).

I believe some people had found a way around this with static
mapping....is this still the case?

>Ascend has known about this since at least 11/97.

Which part in particular?

>I don't
>think they want to fix the problem because they keep loosing

Now that's silly. Why would we not want to fix a problem that
exists on our equipment? As far as I know none of us own stock
in competitor vendors!

>the TR's (yes, that is plural) that they have opened for me

Did you keep any record of the TR numbers?

>about this issue (which is something that wasn't supposed to
>be able to be done - but whatever).  I even built the scenerio
>on my test LAN, with my own equipment, giving Ascend techs
>accounts, and let Ascend recreate the problem.  I did this 3
>times for them.  All three times they confirmed that they had
>a serious problem.  Ascend knows of this problem.

Is this the stops-routing problem, or port 110 problem you also
referred to?

Kevin