Re: (ASCEND) NAT, Pipe75, stops routing.

On 06 April 1998, Kevin A. Smith <kevin@ascend.com> wrote:
> At 09:02 PM 4/5/98 -0500, Robert Fournerat wrote:

[Zap]

> >Other problems you will encounter with Ascend's many-to-one
> >NAT include not being able to connect (from the WAN side into
> >the NAT environment) to several ports (like the POP3 port 110).
>
> I believe some people had found a way around this with static
> mapping....is this still the case?

Yes, our latest "discovery" was when we tried to use port 22 (ssh)
from the WAN side, on a european P85 with 6.0.0 b2.p75 (at last, V2 HW in
europe :-).

This is a annoying problem. I wish that it would work as per the 5.1A
release notes, but Ascend stated that the bugg was in the release notes,
not in the pipeline SW :-/ !

Specific (from our Ticket#259342):

    In the 5.1A release notes, it's stated several times in differnt pages,
    that TCP and UDP packets, that are not covered by static mappings will
    be forwarded to the default server (if it have been defined).

    Some examples on page 116 of the PDF version av the release notes:

    "You need to define a list of local servers and the UDP and TCP ports
     each would handle. You can also define a local default server that
     handles UDP and TCP ports not listed."

    "If you don't specify any routed ports but do specify a default server,
     the default server receives all packets from the remote network that
     are sent to the Pipeline."

    This continues paragraph after paragraph on this page and on others
    through this document!

    There are *no* reference to a *limitation* to "well known ports 0-1023"
    in this document (that I have been able to find)! There are a reference
    (a FTP URL) to a list of Well know ports and Registred ports on page
    118, but thats is mere an explanation of what "Well known ports" are...

[zap]

/Falk
--
 Thomas Falk Claezon             ERICSSON, AXE Research and Development
 Phone:   +46 8  727 34 12       Box 1505