Re: (ASCEND) Link status '-' on a P75?

At 14:48 1998-09-28 -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>At 01:40 AM 9/28/98 , Aron Bibby wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>On Friday I had a user ring me saying his P75 had stopped working, and
>>after a quick run through a few things, I got him to telnet to the box
>>and tell me the line status, which was a '-', as were B1 and B2.
>>Ringing
>>the box on a normal analog phone got me an engaged tone.  Reset the P75,
>>no change.

Funny, at the same time i had the same symptoms, did the same things. After
rebooting, and calling to it, i remembered that the telco had sent me a
note about a switch upgrade. The Pipe was lost for about 20 minutes, and
then everything was back to normal. Interesting timing! I'm in Gothenburg,
Sweden.

>>Strange I thought, so I popped a look at the Ascend BRI troubleshooting
>>guide (http://www.ascend.com/2491.html) which confirmed that it should
>>only be one of 'P', '.' or 'X'.
>
>That is still the case. With the exception of multi-point lines which
>could display either an 'M' or a 'D'.
>
>>So I configured one of my spare P75's and sent him on his way, but this
>>morning I received a phone call from someone else, and it turned out to
>>be
>>the same thing.  The customers were opposite sides of the UK, so I could
>>rule out a local exchange problem.
>>
>>Both customers are using ISDN-2 (Switch Type=U.K.) as opposed to ISDN-2e
>>(Net 3) and have been using the line regularly.
>>
>>Anyone know what this '-' on the Link Status means?
>
>It means that your font is displaying a '.' but it looks like a '-'!
>
>I know that sounds like an April fool response, but in *every* case that
>I've seen/heard of this (in Link Status, not the individual channel status)
>it turned out to be the terminal emulator displaying an "extended" '.' -
>so it *looks* like a '-'.
>
>The '.' means that the physical layer is up, but the logical link is not.
>
>Most often this is caused by invalid SPIDs here in the US - which doesn't
>help you in the UK! Basically layer-2 is down, for whatever reason.

But Kevin, this is normal operation for a Pipeline running NET3
(Euro-ISDN)! Don't ask me why, but 10 sec after it hangs up, the Link, B1
and B2 all goes to ".", and the WAN light start flashing. This goes on
until the next incoming or outgoing call, when Link comes on as "P".
Everything works, but  this seemed like a faulty connection of some sort at
first, but we have learned that its just the way Ascend does NET3???

This wasn't described in my manual that came with the Pipe,actually there
was very little info about anything else than USA operations.
Better docs & examples for non-USA markets would be a good job for the info
department.

/Marcus