Re: (ASCEND) Link status '-' on a P75?

At 01:40 AM 9/28/98 , Aron Bibby wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Friday I had a user ring me saying his P75 had stopped working, and
>after a quick run through a few things, I got him to telnet to the box
>and tell me the line status, which was a '-', as were B1 and B2.
>Ringing
>the box on a normal analog phone got me an engaged tone.  Reset the P75,
>no change.
>
>Strange I thought, so I popped a look at the Ascend BRI troubleshooting
>guide (http://www.ascend.com/2491.html) which confirmed that it should
>only be one of 'P', '.' or 'X'.

That is still the case. With the exception of multi-point lines which
could display either an 'M' or a 'D'.

>So I configured one of my spare P75's and sent him on his way, but this
>morning I received a phone call from someone else, and it turned out to
>be
>the same thing.  The customers were opposite sides of the UK, so I could
>rule out a local exchange problem.
>
>Both customers are using ISDN-2 (Switch Type=U.K.) as opposed to ISDN-2e
>(Net 3) and have been using the line regularly.
>
>Anyone know what this '-' on the Link Status means?

It means that your font is displaying a '.' but it looks like a '-'!

I know that sounds like an April fool response, but in *every* case that
I've seen/heard of this (in Link Status, not the individual channel status)
it turned out to be the terminal emulator displaying an "extended" '.' -
so it *looks* like a '-'.

The '.' means that the physical layer is up, but the logical link is not.

Most often this is caused by invalid SPIDs here in the US - which doesn't
help you in the UK! Basically layer-2 is down, for whatever reason.

Did the first customer get the new P75 yet, and is it acting any better?
[If not - Is it at all possible that BT - or whoever - has just recently
upgraded their switches? (It would be possible that timing changes could
cause this for example)].

Kevin Smith			(kevin@ascend.com)
Ascend Communications...
	...where Network Solutions never end.