Re: (ASCEND) Link status '-' on a P75?

At 09:27 AM 9/29/98 , Marcus Åkesson wrote:
>At 14:48 1998-09-28 -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>But Kevin, this is normal operation for a Pipeline running NET3
>(Euro-ISDN)! Don't ask me why, but 10 sec after it hangs up, the Link, B1
>and B2 all goes to ".", and the WAN light start flashing. This goes on
>until the next incoming or outgoing call, when Link comes on as "P".
>Everything works, but  this seemed like a faulty connection of some sort at
>first, but we have learned that its just the way Ascend does NET3???

It's actually an artifact of the net3 spec. versus how we indicate the
status of the link. In Net3, the logical link is destroyed after a call
is completed and reconstructed on the next incoming/outgoing call. Since
our display indicator of logical-link-down is the ".", that's what will
show in the "inactivity" time.

Aron was referring to ISDN-2, which I didn't think dropped the logical
link like Net-3 does? (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

>This wasn't described in my manual that came with the Pipe,actually there
>was very little info about anything else than USA operations.

I'll pass this comment onto tech pubs for comment!

>Better docs & examples for non-USA markets would be a good job for the info
>department.

Point well taken!

Kevin Smith			(kevin@ascend.com)
Ascend Communications...