Re: (ASCEND) [rootshell] Security Bulletin #16 (fwd)

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 09:50:45AM -0500, Joe Pautler wrote:
> I personally agree with this completely, but I guess the complaint is
> that by default snmp write is enabled, with a default community name....
> as opposed to hardware that has it disabled by default, so if you
> know nothing about snmp your safe without changing anything.

Just for fun I investigated two new pieces of hardware that tunneled
through my office last day. The Cisco MiniHub (ugly as hell BTW) and
the Cisco Catalyst 5000 switch. BOTH had RW communities enabled by
default, on the Catalyst they were separated (public to read, some
others every Cisco guy knows for write and write-all). On the MiniHub
there was only one community, public, and it was RW ;->

Ok, that wasn't routers, but it is common to sell with a enabled RW
comm with a known value, else all those cool point-n-click management
apps would not be up that fast. Leaving them open is just a matter
of not knowing the simplest about exposing a device to the net.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |