Re: (ASCEND) [rootshell] Security Bulletin #16 (fwd)

tqbf@secnet.com wrote:
]
]There is a problem with this. Employing IP-address-based ACLs for SNMP
]does make it harder to get SNMP values from a MIB, but it does not make it
]any harder to set them.

Of course it does.  As you said, you have to spoof the IP address, which
you otherwise wouldn't have to do.... that "makes it harder".

]You can take steps to make this work; employ inside/outside spoof
]protection filters at the perimiter of your network,

Actually, we have this type of filter on every one of our router
interfaces.  If the packet coming in does not have a source address
which is appropriate, it goes no further.  And our Internet link
drops everything coming in that has a source address that is in our
address space.