Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Matt Holdrege wrote:

> Not to mention Linux! There are too many Unix's for most commercial vendors
> to support. Especially those vendors who don't focus on server software. If
> we were giving away source code it would be no problem. But we spent a lot
> of valuable engineering time developing this code and we aren't going to
> give it away. And since engineering time is so valuable, we simply can't
> support every unix out there.

Rubbish, supporting the different flavours of BSD would probably take
little more than a recompile. Ditto Linux (which is especially easy to
port to/from).

If the code was written to be portable (which isn't _that_ hard under
Unix), then this wouldn't be an issue. But then again this is the same
company which brought us the Java configurator which only runs on Windows.

Regards,
Damien Miller