Re: (ASCEND) Re: your mail

> He recommended the upgrade and stated that they have received other
> fix was to have the customers add 5 commas behind the phone number.
> While this only reduced connect speeds and avoid an obvious retrain
> downward, it seems to automatically start at the lower end.

Just to clarify what the 5 commas do. They put a delay of 2 seconds
per comma before the PCs modem listens to the Ascend modem. This is
the classic 'fix' for users modems that get upset by the V.90
initiation tone (also known as the V.8bis tone). I usually use 4
commas, but as each comma induces more delay them the Ascends modems
will be further down the list of speeds that it is trying to
negotiate. That is why you see the Ascend starting at a low speed and
workiing upwards.