(ASCEND) SOFTWARE UPGRADE KILLS RADIUS AUTHENTICATION???

I recently upgraded two MAX 4048s from 6.1.7 to 7.0.0 to 7.0.3 and now
radius authentication stops working after about 25 users are connected.

The radius server sends an OK back to the MAX but the MAX reports "LAN
security error" and drops the caller.  This is bad.  The radius logfile
shows that user's password was correct and that the login was accepted -
but the max reports LAN security error and drops the caller anyway.

I reloaded 6.1.7 ftik.m40 onto the machines and the problem has grown
worse.  Instead of about 28 users I now get only about 20 before the max
starts reporting "LAN security error" and drops callers like flies.

What can I do to remedy this problem?  I am losing customers already!

My users file:

DEFAULT Password = "UNIX"
        User-Service = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Framed-Route = None,
        Ascend-Maximum-Call-Duration = 1440,
        Ascend-Idle-Limit = 1200

pools -v shows plenty of available memory...  I don't know what else to
do...

Thanks!

Jim