Re: (ASCEND) TNT -- Full duplex Ethernet?

Hi,
We just started having similar problems last week. TNT with 7.2.3.

{ shelf-1 slot-1 }          8t1-card    0 days 00:43:12        7.2.3
{ shelf-1 slot-2 }      4ether2-card    0 days 00:40:24        7.2.3
{ shelf-1 slot-3 }        hdlc2-card    0 days 00:43:04        7.2.3
{ shelf-1 slot-4 }         csmx-card    0 days 00:41:58        7.2.3
{ shelf-1 controller }  shelf-controller    0 days 00:43:46        7.2.3

One of my coworkers opened a ticket on it this morning.

Before these problems came up it ran for about a month without any problems and
we have 7.2.3 on another TNT that's doing fine. If we use the shelf controller
ethernet, it works fine for a while and then we start getting huge amounts of
collisions for a while and then it just stops. At first I thought the TNT was
about to die, so I replaced it with a spare and the new one did the same thing.
Since I wasn't sure what was going on I tried moving to the 10/100 port on the
4ether2 card where I see the same thing you are, only now it's so bad that we
always get a high amount of packet loss and it looks like the card has reset
itself a few times. It'll run fine for a few minutes and then all traffic
through the router stops for a few minutes.

We've replaced the TNT, the ethernet switch it's plugged into, all of the
cables, and now the only thing I can think of is to back down to 7.0.22. Will
the ports on the ether2 card do full duplex? I guess it's time to do more
digging.

Of course, some of our problem could be a denial of service attack. Just before
we have these outages we see a huge traffic spike at the TNT. Unfortunately,
due to our network architecture, we have no idea were the traffic is coming
from, going to, or even if there is any real traffic. I don't really think it's
related to traffic volume though, because the first day it happened was on a
Sunday (our slowest traffic day.) Well, now that the new ethernet switches are
in I can take some time and try to reproduce it on the workbench.