(ASCEND) TNT -- Full duplex Ethernet?

Hi all

We have a problem with our TNTs and thought we'd leapfrog our support
ticket with Ascend which isn't progressing anywhere.

The deal is that we've got a TNT (Running multishelf with two others and
version 7.0.22) plugged into an Alteon CacheDirector switch that won't
speak full duplex Ethernet.

At the moment on the Alteon side we've forced no flow control, 100 meg and
half duplex. It works, but we see terrible (3-5%) packet loss which show up
on the Alteon port statistics as collisions and "latecollisions".

On the TNT side we've forced half duplex. The port is on an Ethernet2 card
(not sure of the revision and would love to find out. suffice to say it's
100 meg and it's probably not the newest one)

If we force full duplex on both sides, the link never comes up, no link
light on the TNT and no link light on the Alteon.

If we let both sides autonegotiate, we end up with half duplex.

Can anyone suggest anything? Things we have tried are replacing cables,
different ports on the Alteon, different combinations of Fast Ethernet
settings, using the funny dongle, and still no full duplex. We have other
groups of TNTs with the same hardware and software revision here plugged
into the same Alteon with exactly the same behaviour.

Any/all ideas appreciated. I want full duplex before they get replaced with
5800's :-)

Regards
Kerrin

--
Kerrin Pine (kerrinp@chariot.net.au)   |  Web: http://www.chariot.net.au/
Operations Manager, Chariot Internet   |  Web: http://www.kerrin.com/

"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got
a full house and four people died." -- Steven Wright