Re: (ASCEND) Rockwell and V.PCM (fwd)

At 11:57 AM 1/29/98 -0500, Jason Nealis wrote:

>  Yes, But remember the whole focus of V.PCM is to get some
>sort of compatibility between Rockwell based modems and 3COM
>based modems, If Rockwell doesn't get involved with 3COM & Lucent
>in getting these modems playing nice with each other, It's going
>to be a major headache for all of us when Rockwell does release
>the V.PCM.

I don't know what's really going on, but I don't think that Rockwell has to
"officially" participate in any interoperability events to ensure
compatability. They start with implementing the specification, then test it
with the other modems. Reverse engineering works well here. Plus the modem
industry can be a bit incestuous so there aren't too many secrets.

Sometimes the interoperability events are more marketing oriented and
perhaps Rockwell doesn't see the need for that?

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com