Re: (ASCEND) way to get into MAX

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:56:34 -0500 (EST), William T Wilson <fluffy@dunadan.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, John Coy wrote:
>
> > dialing into the unit.  IE: Is there an 'override'
> > username/password on these devices which only
> > works when remote authentication server times out?
>
> This would be the most horrible thing that Ascend could possibly put in
> the Max.  I sincerely HOPE there is no such thing.  Magic passwords are
> about the worst thing that you can have on a multi-user system.

On the other hand, I've seen a very strange thing happening to a TNT...
user has Win95, dial-up networking configured to show him a "terminal"
window after connecting.  User then types in his username and password,
and the TNT gleefully responds with "ascend% ".  Yes, a command prompt.
The user list shows the user as being of type TRM.  The user authenticated
through Radius, the parameter list returned to the TNT asks for PPP.  If
the user turns off the "terminal" window, everything works and a PPP
connection is established.  Any clues ?  Does the situation look
dangerous to anyone else ?

-Wilson
--
Wilson Roberto Afonso                             wilson@best.com
Disclaimer: I'm in no way connected to Best Communications, other