(ASCEND) Re: MAx 5.0A static ip problem and routing info.

>From: Terrelle Shaw <hshaw@successnet.net>
>I have a problem that is buggying the hell outta me.. i have setup a
>connection
>profile on the max4k for a static ip. I thought by going into a profile and
>setting: Ethernet->Connections->profilename->IP Options->Lan Address to what
>ever i wanted the ip to be would do it. However, i JUST upgraded to 5.0A  i
>know its old) from 4.6C and back then the max had a problem of somehow
>dropping
>the route for a static ip causing the connected session to "hang" or not being
>able to get past the Max4k. I "THOUGHT" it was cleared up in 5.0A ( thats
>why i
>wanted to try it out) and its STILL happening. Plus i ALWAYS see this in the
>routing table for the static ip: (ip's have been changed)
>
>206.17.23.40/32  206.17.23.40  wan21    rTM    100   2    1486   25048
>206.17.23.40/32  206.17.23.40  wan21    SM     100   2    1391   25359
>
>Minus the rtM which is new to me.. i have always seen to entries in the
>routing
>table. Am i doing something wrong? Should i be setting the static ip somewhere
>else?

Doesn't it stand for "read The Manual"? Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;-)

Seriously, I looked for what rTM is, and I can't find mention of it
anywhere in the docs or on Ascend's site.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to assign a
static IP to a remote modem or TA? If so, I've never done it with an
internal profile, but I do it all day via RADIUS. Works fine.

One thing I do is assign static IPs within the Max's Ethernet range, so I
don't worry about /32 routes. Is that possible in your case?

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com
http://www.infoasis.com/