(ASCEND) Re: ascend-users-digest V96 #984

>From: Phillip Vandry <vandry@Mlink.NET>
>Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:12:07 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Pool summary not working, any ideas?
>
>>From: "Oliver J. Albrecht" <oj@nexus.flensbone.net>
>> BTW, I used the following static route entry. I'm just wondering, are
>> the  default settings (especially metric and/or preference) ok or
>> should they be "fine-tuned"?
>>
>> 90-401
>>  x Name=pool_1
>>  x Active=Yes
>>  x Dest=194.64.165.0/27
>>  x Gateway=127.0.0.2
>>  x Metric=8
>>  x Preference=100
>
>This entry looks good. Really, metrics and preferences hardly matter
>unless you have more than one route going to the same place. In that
>case the route(s) with the lower metric(s) and preference(s) take
>precedence.
>
>I would usually recommend using a Metric of 1 unless you have some
>reason to use a higher one. With some protocols, such as RIP, if the
>metric gets too high (it grows by one for each router hop), the
>route will be considered unreachable.

FWIW, Ascend is quite particular about the metric/prefs for this purpose.
>From the docs:

For example, the following static route, silently discards all packets
whose destination falls in
the pool's subnet. In addition to the Dest and Gateway parameters that
define the pool, be sure
you have set parameters Metric=0, Preference=0, Cost=0, and Private=No:

I've been using this feature since it was available with no problems.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com
http://www.infoasis.com/