Re: (ASCEND) LT Win Modems

I have been all through Aptive tech support on the LT WinModem with zippo
success. They do not know anything about this modem. The support person
(after I had informed her SEVERAL times that I was part of an ISP) asked
me to have the customer call Aptiva tech support. I asked "why in the hell
would I do that when I have called a couple of times already with no
success at all?". I even asked for a user manual for the modem and was told
"there is none". I told her that IBM had eaten one Aptive from a user
because of the modem issue and Big Blue will probably eat the user's
present machine too. I told her that after Blue eats a bunch of these boxes
due to zero support on this modem, maybe someone in the "head shed" might
get curious about why they are getting all these boxes back... I was also
told (again after several times informing tech that I was part of ISP) that
I should  call my ISP and see if their equipment supported that modem's
protocol. So I asked "what type of protocol is this modem?" "Uhhh, I think
it is a Flex type modem"....

At 03:57 PM 1/16/98 -0700, Joseph Hickman wrote:

>I guess it might sound simple, but why not call Aptiva when this happens
>again, have the tech drone put his super on the phone and talk to him
>about this?  I'd continue up the ladder until I got satisfaction (which
>usually would entail a change in policy that would allow the techs
>to be informed such that they would not be blaming it on the isp and/or
>acquiring the disk in question).
>
>On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Steve Mintun wrote:
>
>> My 2 cents:  Same here.
>>
>> We have had 4 customers with LT Winmodem speed problems.  No solution
>> yet, EXCEPT, one customer said his son had the same problem, did
>> something with a floppy disk, and it was fixed.  Of course, there are no
>> details, and I haven't heard back from him.  I suggested he try what
>> worked for his son, and asked him to run, don't walk the "disk" over to
>> us.
>>
>> I wish the Aptiva people would tell customers they don't know instead of
>> "the ISP must be using older software/hardware".
>>
>> If I find anything out, I'll post.
>> --
>> -Steve
>>
>> iPlus Internet Services
>> (540) 633-6327
>> http://www.i-plus.net
>>

>> Ed Bright wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a user having the severe speed problems with this modem. (bundled
>> > with Aptiva).. IBM Aptiva support doesn't have a clue. They could find
ZERO

ascend-users-request@bungi.com