Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4048 + 5.0Ap38 oddity

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

> Mike,
>
> you wrote:
>
>     I'm getting this rebooting on my Maxen (all 4000/4060 p38 load
>     eik.m40), but it seems to primarily affect the boxes on the front
>     of my hunt group, which is configured for "overflow" operation
>     (when a PRI fills, then calls come up in the next PRI on the
>     group), obviously because they take more calls. The first Max in
>     the group would need rebooting every 36-48 hours.
>
> When that version came out, I have been told by two different people in
> ascend that the e1 p38 version has known problems and have been advised
> not to use it. What the problems were I haven;t been told.  Since you
> are in Europe, so using the e1 version, these might be problems they
> warned me for. Maybe you should consiering downgrading to p36.
>
> 	jaap

Well, that's quite interesting, because I actually had the problems with
rebooting in p36 too, and was advised to go up to p38 by Dave Walsh (who
had been escalating this up to engineering). P33 was the last one which
didn't reboot all the time.

One thing i have noticed is that while K56 connects tend to be 2K better,
V34 connects tend to be 31,200 rather than 33,600 with the 1.160t Rockwell
code in p38, when compared to the code in p36 (v1.120 ISTR?). I can get
33.6 on a variety of V34 modems, and on K56 ones throttled with "+MS=11",
but quite a few users are only seeing 31.2. OK, we know that it mkaes
minimal difference, but it is causing the users to chew the ears of the
support bobs (and they of course chew my ears :-).

Of course, backing out will give us moans from K56 users cos they will
get 2K drops. No win!

Mike