Re: (ASCEND) Modem at Console Port of a Max/Pipeline?

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Julian Cowley wrote:

> Why use a modem (and a phone line) when you can hook up an old RS232C
> terminal server?  We have serial consoles on all our Maxes that way.

Well, you have a Max in a remote PoP.  You've set up a co-location
arrangement with the telco, a bank, an office tower, or any one of a
number of buildings that is 1) located close to the phone company (for
cheaper T1 rates) and 2) gives you colocation access rather than a full
office and its associated full rent rates.  The Max more than likely is
the only device in the PoP (which probably consists of no more than a
shelf in a wiring closet somewhere).

> We use the same terminal servers to hook up anything that has a serial
> port on it (routers, switches, etc.) and Unix boxes that support it (at

This is useful, but only if you have a lot of devices in the area.  And it
also implies that you have more than one 'net link going to the PoP -
which is by no means a given.

> least SunOS, BSD/OS, and IRIX -- don't know if Linux supports serial
> consoles yet).  Remote rebooting is much more confident that way, and it

Of course it does.  Has for at least three years.  :)