Re: (ASCEND) Modem at Console Port of a Max/Pipeline?

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Kevin A. Smith wrote:
> At 04:49 PM 1/12/98 -0500, Jim Howard wrote:
> >At 22:42 1998/01/12 +0100, norbert wegener wrote:
> >>It would be a good thing to attach a modem to the console port, that I
> >>could dial up the Max/Pipe, if it does not come up again.
> >>Up to now I had no suscess in realising this. Is this because of the
> >>wrong cables or is it just not >possible?

Why use a modem (and a phone line) when you can hook up an old RS232C
terminal server?  We have serial consoles on all our Maxes that way.

We use the same terminal servers to hook up anything that has a serial
port on it (routers, switches, etc.) and Unix boxes that support it (at
least SunOS, BSD/OS, and IRIX -- don't know if Linux supports serial
consoles yet).  Remote rebooting is much more confident that way, and it
means that you usually don't have to make a long distance phone call if
you can reach the terminal server through the net.  The only thing you
have to worry about is whether you can get online to a certain ethernet if
something important breaks.  Either one phone line or one ISDN BRI per
ethernet works.