Re: (ASCEND) APEX Rapid Transit modem

Joe Shaw wrote:

> Could be that his switching situation through the LD carrier is better
> than his local setup.  That's the most logical explanation.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
> NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
> Fortune for today: "Life may have no meaning -- or worse, it may have a meaning
> of which you disapprove." Unknown.
>
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Tim Connolly wrote:
>
> >     I've got a customer who calls a Max 4004/K56 5.0Ap38 and gets
> > 28.8K who can also call a 4048/K56 (long distance) 6.0b1 and gets
> > 36K.  Any ideas ? His Flash Rom says 7/97 so I suggested he go that
> > route and try a newer flash rom. Apex told him we didn't have our Max
> > programmed correctly. Any ideas or magic init strings ?

This is so weird. My neighbor just bought a machine from us-
same machine as I have, same modem, same code rev on the modem,
etc...and I live in the boonies and have never EVER gotten a
K56-level connection and never expected to. However, my neigh-
bor can, but ONLY when he dials our Durham PoP which is
(1) Long Distance and (2) PRI. The local PoP is all CT1's and
close to the CO have worked better than our PRI's in Durham.

When we first started with K56 (June 97) K56 wouldn't work at
ALL via long distance. There's something here we need to know;
can Ascend shed any light?

'Shot

--
Darkshot (Michael B. Garrett)