Re: (ASCEND) Modem at Console Port of a Max/Pipeline?

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Julian Cowley wrote:
>
> > Why use a modem (and a phone line) when you can hook up an old RS232C
> > terminal server?  We have serial consoles on all our Maxes that way.
>
> Well, you have a Max in a remote PoP.  You've set up a co-location
> arrangement with the telco, a bank, an office tower, or any one of a
> number of buildings that is 1) located close to the phone company (for
> cheaper T1 rates) and 2) gives you colocation access rather than a full
> office and its associated full rent rates.  The Max more than likely is
> the only device in the PoP (which probably consists of no more than a
> shelf in a wiring closet somewhere).

Of course, in this arrangement, it makes sense.  One Max, one modem in.
What I'm getting at is that where there may be more than one Max (or
anything else) in the same place, it might make sense to put in a terminal
server that can handle all the serial ports that are around.

Anyhow, I suppose this is all off topic.  Suffice to say that we've
successfully used the serial ports of Maxes to perform remote reboots
without having to use a modem.

> > We use the same terminal servers to hook up anything that has a serial
> > port on it (routers, switches, etc.) and Unix boxes that support it (at
>
> This is useful, but only if you have a lot of devices in the area.  And it
> also implies that you have more than one 'net link going to the PoP -
> which is by no means a given.

One of your links would be a phone line, which could be hooked up to the
terminal server as well.

> > least SunOS, BSD/OS, and IRIX -- don't know if Linux supports serial
> > consoles yet).  Remote rebooting is much more confident that way, and it
>
> Of course it does.  Has for at least three years.  :)

Aha... Just never bothered to look.  Thanks for the info...