Re: (ASCEND) Problem: MAX-1800, with more than 7 Connections

At 10:03 1998/01/08 -0500, Bob Roswell wrote:
>I have two MAX-1800 which both exhibit the same problem
>I have 1 device connected to the serial lan, and 6 devices connected to
>the BRI's.  Everything is stable.
>If I add a 7th BRI to either unit, the router works for a while, but then
>the router tells me that another BRI line is unavailable,
>(The status goes from D to a - or sometimes an M or even an X).
>Rebooting or toggling the BRI line  sometimes solves the problem for a
>few hours.
>I am running  Software +5.0Ap16+.

are you using trunk groups for the BRI?
I've run full 8 ports (but not using serial WAN)
and not seen problems that freqently,
my problems would happen every few days or weeks.

does it seem to be any particular line that caused probmlems?
say for example, disconnect line 1 and connect 7,
or simply having more than 6 ports filled?

My understanding was that the 1800's always
sync to a single BRI (port 1 if available, then 2, or 3, etc.,)
for its clock, which it then uses to transmit on all ports.
especially if you are getting lines from different telcos,
or possibly even different switches at the same CO,
problems can arise if the switches are not synced
correctly to the master clock...

At any rate, my problems could usually be solved by disabling port 1
and letting the clock source move to port 2, then reenabling 1.
This would keep the system happy for a while,
(probably until one of the clocks went 180 degrees out of sync)
then I'd disable port 2 to move the clock source back to port 1.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D