RE: (ASCEND) Ethernet problem on 6096 (6.1.7)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Troy Settle wrote:

> Just a follow up...
>
> doing an fclear and reboot did NOT solve the problem.  It's gone out 3 times
> in the last 6 hours.  All 3 times, making some change to the ethernet config
> brings the connection back up.
>
> ARGH!!
>
> This is irritating me all to hell!

May not help, but then it may...

I experienced something not entirely dissimilar (so long ago now, I can't
remember it in detail - was about 18 months ago). The 4060 in question
hadn't missed a beat, and more importantly, hadn't had any configuration
changes. All of a sudden, it was uncontactable via ethernet. Try as we
may, it didn't want to communicate. Ended up power cycling it. It came
back on-line, only to disappear within 20 minutes. This happened three
times before we realized that co-incident with this, we had plugged in a
new server (well, re-building an old server actually) - that had
an address (specifically subnet) conflict. Seems that host was sending
something onto the local network that confused the Max severely, causing
either a route to be added/changed, or something equally bizare, rendering
it uncontactable. Once we removed the offending server (changed its
subnet) the problem disappeared.

It probably isn't your problem, but hey... it may give you a clue?

RossW