Re: (ASCEND) Restricting login speed

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 10:02:05AM -0400, Joe Pautler wrote:
> Andre Beck wrote:
> ]
> ]You could write a small SNMP watcher that checks whether some event
> ]has occured every some seconds, and if so, gets the sessionActive
> ]table, links to the callActive table and looks up if any connection is
> ]there with a TX speed that is still V.34. If it finds one, it kicks
> ]it off. Now this is only possible with 6.x and of course has a major
> ]drawback: If someone _legally_ connects with a KFlex modem and due to
> ]the telco lines day form cannot get more than say V.34 at 26.4 kbps,
> ]he will get kicked, too. If you can stand this, the monitor would
> ]be a quick solution.
>
> you are absolutly correct on all accounts.  however we feel it is
> very bad customer service to dump people off without warning
> after they have already obtained a connection.  which is why
> we would prefer to be able to simply configure the ascend modems
> to only negotiate K56Flex speeds initially.

The problem with this is what you call a connection or "got connected".
With modems, you need to be connected before starting modem negotiations,
so kicking someone during the training phase is only slightly different
from kicking someone short after the training phase. Actually, you may
be fast enough with your SNMP "executioner" to kick the user while he
still does PPP negotiations, so he will only see a difference if he
knows what happens inside the nice gray boxes. But to speak for us here
in germany, kicking users in training or after it makes no difference
at all - the -T-- got its bill unit and you get barbecued by your
customer. This is a chicken-egg-problem, and I see no way to solve it
without being nasty to the customers in some way.

Idea: If you have identified a connection by a customer using V.34
on your V.90 Max (think positive) to be up for, lets say, one minute,
you use smbclient to pop a message up on the customers machine. If he
happens to be intelligent enough to not run "Windows Client" services
over IP out to the world, you also send him a Mail. Both messages tell
him: "We apologize for blah blah blah you will be logged off automati-
cally in 2 minutes. Please use blah blah". Then you wait two more
minutes and finally kick him. It's still not nice, but maybe they get
it easier if you explain it somehow.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   XLink PoP Dresden | o |