Re: (ASCEND) Restricting login speed

Andre Beck wrote:
]
]You could write a small SNMP watcher that checks whether some event
]has occured every some seconds, and if so, gets the sessionActive
]table, links to the callActive table and looks up if any connection is
]there with a TX speed that is still V.34. If it finds one, it kicks
]it off. Now this is only possible with 6.x and of course has a major
]drawback: If someone _legally_ connects with a KFlex modem and due to
]the telco lines day form cannot get more than say V.34 at 26.4 kbps,
]he will get kicked, too. If you can stand this, the monitor would
]be a quick solution.

you are absolutly correct on all accounts.  however we feel it is
very bad customer service to dump people off without warning
after they have already obtained a connection.  which is why
we would prefer to be able to simply configure the ascend modems
to only negotiate K56Flex speeds initially.  And as far as people who
have K56 modems but can not connect at K56 speeds....our position
is the same - if you're not taking full advantage of the K56
string, then you should be dialing into the v.34 string and leaving
the K56 lines available for people who will gain a benefit from them.
once you get your firmware and/or phone line problem fixed,
the K56 string will accept your call.

just for the record... i have gotten many private emails from other
ascend users who are also interested in this feature.  also, we did
put in a feature request for it a few months back, but haven't
followed up on it.  we are purchasing TNT's in order to convert all
of our lines to K56 capapble modems, so this should not be an issue
for us much longer.

my hunch is that the K56 code (flex, v.90, whatever) inherently provides
for fallback to v.34, and therefore the above feature might be impossible
to implement without straying from the "standard"....or maybe not.