Re: (ASCEND) Request for comments: Proposed changes to the SNMP Interface MIB support

    Hey Ken, any possibility of adding a entry equivalent to the "pools -v"
command in debug mode on a max 4xxx ???  I know I would certainly like to see
this addition because we could rule out of lot problems blamed on Ascend's past
memory leaks. Any hope for this ???

ken wrote:

> We have completed a draft of the changes that we plan on making to the MAX
> and TNT MIBII interface table.
>
> Problem:
>     - Currently the SNMP MIB-II interface table for the MAX/TNT contains an
>     entry for each physical interfaces as well as *all* potential WAN
>     connections supported by the system.  This results in a very large
>     interface table; a fully populated TNT would have over a thousand
>     entries and take a while to scan.
>
> Solution:
>     - Reduce the size of interface table
>
>     By default, the interface table will contain only physical interfaces,
> encapsulated
>     protocols such as Frame Relay or PPP over a nailed group, and network
>     layer interfaces.  There is an option to include DS0 bundles and Virtual
> Circuits
>     in the interface table as well.
>
> Problem:
>     - Interface statistic counters are incremented only for the session
>     layer interface entries - WAN ports; these interfaces move around.
>
> Solution:
> - All nailed interfaces will have counters at the link level - PPP or Frame.
> Octet counters will not be supported for switched DS1 interfaces. Tracking
> the octets on PRIs used for switched calls isn't very useful. On these
> interfaces
> Measuring channel usage is.
>
> Problem
>     - WAN entries for nailed connection in the interface table
>     move around.  This makes it very difficult for Network Management
>     Station to poll for historical data.
>
> Solution
>     The value of ifIndex of an interface entry in the interface table will
>     be saved in NVRAM or Flash so it will not change between system reboot.
>     Also if an entry is dynamically removed from the interface table, its
>     ifIndex value must not re-used until after the following
>     re-intialization of the network management agent.
>
> Problem:
>      - No support RFC 2233, the Interface Group MIB
>
> Solution:
>
> Add support for RFC2233.
>
>      ifTable
>         This table is the ifTable from MIB-II (RFC 1213)
>
>     ifXTable
>         This table contains objects that have been addded to the Interface
>         MIB as a result of the Interface Evolution effort (RFC 1573), or
>         replacements for objects of the original (MIB-II) ifTable that were
>         deprecated.  This table also contains objects that were previously
>         in the ifExtsTable (RFC 1573).
>
>     ifStackTable
>         This table contains objects that define the relationships among the
>         sub-layers of an interface.
>
> Ken Packert
> Ascend Communications
> Network Management Division
>
> ++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
> To unsubscribe: send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request@bungi.com
> To get FAQ'd:   <http://www.nealis.net/ascend/faq>

-- Tim Connolly tec@mountain.net     MountainNet, Inc.
-- (304) 594-9075 ext. 37            2816 Cranberry Square
-- fax (304) 594-9088                Morgantown, WV 26505

My signatures are getting longer and longer..
If you really want to see it...
http://mountain.net/~tec