Re: (ASCEND) Big modem pool

On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 10:42:44AM -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:

> I'd be interested to know what ethernet switch works with stacking. We
> have Catalyst 1900's and they dont for stacking. What switches are others
> using?

I don't use stacking, but if _any_ switch has problems with it I would
say that it is either a bug in the switch or in its configuration. A
first guess would be the switch is set to some VLAN stuff that uses in-
band tagging and thus is incompatible with devices not knowing about this
stuff. Another guess would be that the switch is rating or even filtering
completetly the multicast packets used by stacking.

BTW, as stacking seems to use multicasting intensively, a switch will be
of only limited gain when it comes to enhancing stack performance. But
I'm quite sure mcast is only used for stacking meta communications but
not for the actual bonding data streams. That would be plain silly.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   XLink PoP Dresden | o |