Re: (ASCEND) Long login times on Max 4000

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Eric Hunter wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> We have been receiving complaints that it takes a long time to connect to a
> Max 4000.  We have verified this, it usually takes 40-60 seconds just to
> verify the username and password (Windows 95).
>
> I tried turning on PPP Direct, which did speed it up a little bit.
>
> The strange thing, is if a user starts an internet application, it will
> work, just Windows sits there waiting for verification.
>
> Anyone else have these problems, or a solution?

Yes -- I am bewildered why this started happening recently since we
changed nothing on our maxen.  The answer is to make sure the Win95
'enable software commpresion' is unchecked -- it is checked by default. If
you are talking about the same problem, it shows 'verifying user name and
password' for something on the order of 50 seconds, but the max shows lan
session up and the user can browse, pop mail, etc.. most don't even try --
they just annoyed.

I haven't looked too much into this but I am assuming the compression
Win95 is talking about is some kind of stac comression that the modems do
between each other anyway...

Steve