Re: (ASCEND) Long login times on Max 4000

> We have been receiving complaints that it takes a long time to connect to a
> Max 4000.  We have verified this, it usually takes 40-60 seconds just to
> verify the username and password (Windows 95).
>
> I tried turning on PPP Direct, which did speed it up a little bit.
>
> The strange thing, is if a user starts an internet application, it will
> work, just Windows sits there waiting for verification.
>
> Anyone else have these problems, or a solution?

It usually helps to have the client PC's uncheck "Log on to network" and
remove any protocols that aren't being used.  (I'm making the assumption
that you're an ISP and just running TCP/IP, as opposed to an office's
RAS; note that the "Log on to network" is used only in Novell/Microsoft
Network environments, as far as I know)

melange@yip.org - "Slightly tacky but completely entertaining"