Re: (ASCEND) Max 6000 - LAN security errors during heavy load

At 05:09 PM 4/9/99 -0500, John Coy wrote:
>I have several MAX 6000 terminal servers on my network.
>I've been experiencing some intermittant problems lately
>which appear to crop up when the terminal server is heavily
>loaded.  I am running the 7.0.4 firmware.
>
>What appears to happen is when the Max has more than 72 connections,
>it will give a LAN security error when a user is logging in.
>There is no reason for this (ie: the RADIUS server is running fine,
>the user is not already logged in, the user supplied the correct
>username and password).
>
>Rebooting the MAX makes the problem go away.
>
>The problem is intermittant.
>
>Has anyone else experienced these same problems?  Info/Feedback
>would be greatly appreciated.

We have a related problem with a MAX 2024, running 7.0.3 (but the problem
has likely been there with various 6.x.x releases too)

Some users, some times, get immediately disconnected after authenticating.
Syslog shows these calls connecting, and following modem negotiation the
RADIUS server log shows that authentication was successful. However, the
MAX then immediately disconnects the user. Syslog then gets warning saying
"LAN security error" for the username. A few seconds later syslog and
RADIUS accounting record the end of the call, with the username and a
disconnect code of 101 (invalid user) and progress code of 67. (The RADIUS
accounting log has only a STOP record and doesn't show the username.)

Our MAX isn't heavily loaded, and I haven't been able to correlate this
problem to anything else. Between 5% and 10% of our calls end with this
c=101, p=67 combination.

I wish I had an answer, but I don't. We've got a ticket with Ascend on
this, and as requested sent them a wanNext trace of one such call, but
haven't (yet?) heard back anything helpful.

John Wells
School District 79 - Cowichan Valley
Duncan, BC, Canada
jwells@sd79.bc.ca