(ASCEND) MAX log parsing

I just checked the FAQ and didn't see anything of too much help there.
What I'm looking for is a script (shell or perl) that I can setup as a
cron job to go through the syslog file and come up with something that is
a little more "useful".  I don't need it for billing purposes, I just want
to know who was on when and how to help debug problems that come up.  If
someone has something that they use and like I would appreciate it,
otherwise I guess I'll "reinvent the wheel" :)  (which probably isn't a
bad idea since my scripting needs some work ;-) ).

Thanks for the help
Forrest Houston
USC/ISI - IPCe