Re: (ASCEND) GRF routers -- pros and cons

I was looking at the GRF for the same reason. I heard from ascend twice
on if I had the literature. That was all. I called Cisco about the 7500
series and have all kinds of stuff including phone calls from there
engineering team. There support is quite a bit faster than ascends also,
in my experience and the price for support is a lot less then ascends. So
I am working on the purchasing of the Cisco now.

Good luck
Bennie

>Does anyone out there have experience with the GRF 400 router?
>
>We're planning on moving to a T-3 in May and are trying to finalize the
>router selection so we can get it ordered by the end of March.  We'd
>been looking at a Cisco 7200 series until we got a visit last week from
>our local Ascend reps (hi, Joe and Chris!).  They left us some
>literature on the GRF 400, and it looks great -- especially with the
>current details.
>
>One of the things that made us decide to go for the GRF over the Cisco
>was the number of high-volume providers that have switched to them --
>including ours.  However, a casual remark on a phone call with said
>provider for a totally different reason reveals that they're in the
>process of removing their GRFs and going back to Ciscos, due to software
>instability and other problems.  The person I spoke with didn't know the
>full details.
>
>Now we're in a crunch situation; we don't have a lot of time left, and I
>need to know whether the GRF is a good product.  Can it hold up to the
>performance claims that Ascend makes for it without becoming an
>administrative nightmare?  At this point, its overkill level of
>performance and affordibility become second to rock-solid reliability;
>we cannot take the time to dick around with flaky software.
>
>I haven't seen a lot of discussion of the GRFs on this list, and I'm
>hoping that means they're wonderful boxes that never give trouble to
>those of you that are using them.  I'd also like to see if Kevin has
>heard of anything regarding them.  Depending on the problems (and their
>severity), we may go with the GRF anyway -- as long as they're
>acknowledged, Ascend has committed to fixing them, and we can work
>around them for the time being.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Devin L. Ganger <devin@premier1.net>