Re: (ASCEND) Dial-in routing problem (Was: How to reserve modem ports for MAXDial?)

At 01:27 AM 3/3/98 -0800, Josh Richards wrote:
>On 2 Mar 1998, John Wells wrote:
 [...]
>> Our PPP dial-in user profile is typically:
>>
>> user Password = "pass"
>>  Service-Type = Framed,
>>  Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>>  Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.224,
>>  Framed-Routing = None,
>>  Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
>>  Ascend-Idle-Limit = 300
>>
>> The problem is the Framed-IP-Netmask. Including it means our profiles
>> work, but we get an extraneous (albeit harmless, so far) network route
>> added when a client dials in, e.g., for a client dialing in and getting
>> IP 138.152.111.73, then in addition to the required host route:
>
>The "Framed-IP-Netmask" is wrong.  It is what you are telling it to do
>(add a route for the entire subnet).  The netmask should be
>255.255.255.255 if it is a *single* IP being assigned to the client.  The
>only time the netmask should be set differently in RADIUS is if you are
>assigning the adjacent subnet to be routed over that dial-up connection
>also.
>
>> However, if we remove the Framed-IP-Netmask from the profile, then
>> dialin clients have no connectivity.
>
>The MAX apparently doesn't default to an all 1s netmask in the absence of
>it being specified in RADIUS.   Specify it explicity as I mentioned above
>and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I believe I tried this early
on, and got an error from the MAX when a client tried to dial in. However
that would have been before 5.0Ai28, so perhaps it works now.

John
jwells@pacificcoast.net